Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY Ribbon


During the last year that I had my retail shop in downtown Fallbrook, I started making ribbon under our Sew Eco Chic line of clothing and accessories. I found that ladies pants offered the best patterns and fabrics for making ribbon . . . (and I often wondered why any gal would select such a print for a pair of capris?)  I am talking about rather LOUD prints - and it was easy to find the thrift store racks over-loaded with these cast-offs.


saved old ribbon spools to use for newly made ribbon
I saved the ribbon spools from shop ribbon we had finished using and they were perfect for wrapping my newly made ribbon on.
some of my home-made ribbon collection
Simply cut strips of fabric from the capris or pants - I used a rotary cutter and was not too particular about being perfectly straight with my cuts. Using a serger, I just sewed up and down both sides of the strips of fabric (after first sewing the strips together to form very long strands of ribbon.)

I have not tried this yet - but I have some wire from the jewelry section of the craft store ready to lay down as I serge the edges. Voila, wired ribbon.

sew the strips together before serging the edges

some of my stash of capris for making more ribbon

3 comments:

  1. Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for sharing. Do you make bows using these Grosgrain Ribbon from Yama? I like them either. I usually Wholesale Ribbon from them. It's a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um.. Recently I'm preparing to buy some Discount Ribbon for the coming Christmas Day. For you, would you like to Buy Ribbon Online or in the local mall?

    ReplyDelete