Monday, May 28, 2012

What I'm Reading

I'm reading Slow Love . . . How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness by Dominique Browning.  If you were a fan of House & Garden magazine you might recognize her name as the editor in chief. The publication folded in 2007 and she lost her job. This is the story of how she dealt with that blow and changed her way of living.


Today - more than half way through the book - I came upon an couple her thoughts on designers. She states,"I have never met a designer who was willing to fold into their egg-white omelets the yolks of a past life." On the next page she goes on to say, "A designer may sincerely want to make room for a few of the client's old pieces, but it never seems to work that way; when push comes to shove, out they go."

I guess she is talking about the high-society designer types she worked with at the magazine.  Re-designer's who specialize in "using what is in the home" as a start to any design project most likely didn't cross the threshold to her office.

But, I did love that magazine and miss it. And, I will finish the book - forgiving her for not knowing that an entire breed of designer is out there who would love to work with her treasured belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment