Sunday, June 27, 2010

It is Done!


The wedding gown is finished and it fits perfectly! Now, let's bring on the wedding.

I did have a mini-meltdown a day or so ago when I was doing some adjusting and wondering if I could really pull this off. I even called a professional seamstress, who specialized in wedding gowns, to inquire about her saving the dress. She was not too interested but did offer to take a look if I could not make it work. However, I decided to keep at it myself and my efforts paid off.

How exciting for my daughter to wear a wedding gown that was totally redesigned - and includes my wedding dress and her grandmother's wedding gown. Oh, if only my mother could be here to see it. She would be so proud of her granddaughter's imagination and creativity since she came up with the idea. She would also be very proud that I was able to pull it off.


Here is the detail of the new front and back. I took off the first ruffle and created this bigger version that extends all the way around. The bride will actually wear it off-shoulder, which looks great and happened by accident. She was walking in the dress to see how it would do with her sandals when the shoulder ruffle fell down. It was one of those "ah ha" moments because it looked so right.






I did add a purchased ivory cotton eyelet ruffle to the bottom of the back of the dress. It added a romantic finish to the dress and cost a total of $12. So that was my only expense. There is no way to figure out the true value of a dress like this . . . and I can not help but wonder if many, many years from now another girl in the family will wear it, or redesign it again, for her wedding.

The grooms vest fits him nicely too and is at the tailor who is making the buttonholes for me.  I didn't want to take the time and risk it. Not with seventy year old ivory satin and knowing I did not have enough left to make another vest, if I messed it up.

In two weeks the wedding will be history, but their wedding attire will live on to bring back the memories of three weddings and three generations of brides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment