Thursday, October 15, 2009

Vintage Bikini Fabric Sachets

When I was in high school in the 70s (San Clemente High class of '73) I worked part-time for Sunflower Swimwear, sewing bikinis and beach wear. At the end of each work week the pattern cutter would leave leftover stacks of small fabric squares on the edge of the table. We could take all we wanted. In a short amount of time I had managed to collect thousands of squares.

Recently, while looking through some old sewing stuff in the garage, I came across them and knew that the now "vintage" fabric would be perfect for Sew Eco Chic.


In the early years of saving them, I did create many treasures, including patchwork curtains for my boyfriend's VW bus and a quilt to name a few. Yet, nothing remains today from those early projects besides the memories.

Interesting how fabric patterns and colors get "old" soon after they are popular and then decades later they are a hit again. I love the designs and colors of these fabrics (many resemble batik) and the size was perfect for making lavender sachets. I added ribbon and a button so it could be hung on a hanger to sweeten a closet.

Sachets made with vintage bikini fabrics

The buttons are from my collection and the lavender is fresh and very fragrant. The back of the sachets is a piece of solid fabric from the same vintage swimwear collection which was  used as bikini linings.

A tip for making and filling sachets is to leave an opening in the seam about the size of a funnel tip. I use a wood chopstick to help push the lavender through the hole in the funnel and into the sachet. Then just hand-stitch the opening closed. I add the ribbon with a few tacks of thread and place the button on top and sew it on.

These would make great party favors for any occasion.  Just select the fabric to go with the theme.  I will be making some for a baby shower later this spring, and will take photos of the step by step process.

No comments:

Post a Comment