Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I Saved How Much?

On a recent excursion to my local craft stores (JO-ANN and Michaels), I had two interesting things happen, one at each store.


In the days when I received the Sunday paper, I always saved the flyers for both stores, just for their coupons. But now I print them online. Both stores coupons have some small print, but I have never read it in full. Does anyone? I did know that the coupon could not be used for anything already on sale

Michaels was the first stop. I had no real reason to go there - I just figured I would stop in to see what was new and use the 40% off coupon. I selected a book and a rubber stamp. Neither were advertised as being on sale. When I got to the check out and handed the cashier my coupon, she informed me, "Coupons are not good on books, it is in the small print" - oh well, I really wanted to get the book. The stamp was on sale, but I really wanted it too. I spent almost $30 and left with my coupon in hand.

I did exactly what they wanted me to do. I fell into their trap and I was totally aware of it. I went to Michaels and didn't use the coupon - and spent money on at least one full-priced item and one sale item. How smart are they?

Recently JO-ANN advertised a sale on sewing patterns that intrigued me. I try to use the coupon for something I need or want, like a new magazine or craft book. The 40% off coupons are good on books and magazines, but lately I have noticed that the magazines are always 10% off, so coupons cannot be used.


On this trip I was interested in a few new patterns advertised for .99 cents. I spent about $12.00 and when the cashier handed me the receipt she said, "Congratulations, you saved $93.61." I said, "What are you talking about?" Of course, she meant how much I would've saved if the patterns sold for the price on the envelope, which they NEVER do. They are always, everyday, 40% off the list price. I cannot remember the last time I bought a full-priced pattern. These days patterns come with a hefty price tag of about $15.95 or higher.


 I laughed all the way out of the store and still find myself still giggling when I think about it - or look at the receipt, where the savings are featured in large print to remind me of how lucky I am.




No comments:

Post a Comment